This soup is my dream soup. I love coconut curries, I love any kind of squash or pumpkin and I really love lentils. I have been making this soup for at least ten years and I am always happy like a small kid with a big ice cream every year when I get to make it for the first time in the fall. Well the time is here and I might have made it already three times, it’s a family favorite, especially when served with warm naan or pita bread. Even the kids eat it without complaining then. This year is the first year I made it in my Instant pot and I loved it. Instant pot is seriously one of my favorite small appliances.
Kabocha Pumpkin and Lentil Curry Soup
- instant pot
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cups lentils I used one cup red lentils and one cup green lentils
- 1 large carrot
- 1 Kabocha squash
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1" fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lime, juiced plus more for garnish
- 1/2-1 Thai chili pepper
- salt and pepper
- Peel, clean cut your Kabocha squash in about 1/2″ pieces. Grate the ginger, mince the garlic, dice the onion and chop the cilantro and the Thai chili pepper if using. If you don't have the chili pepper you can substitute it with red chili pepper flakes. Set your instant pot on saute and cook the onion for about 5 minutes in little bit of canola oil. While it's cooking grate the carrot and gather your spices.
- Add rest of the ingredients, except the coconut milk, to the instant pot and close the lid and set to cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Make sure the vent is closed.Once it is cooked release pressure and stir in the coconut milk.
- Serve sprinkled with some fresh cilantro and lime juice and warm naan or pita bread on the side.